Breakthroughs

breakthrough (noun) -> Definition: progress -> Synonyms : advance, development, discovery, find, finding, gain, improvement, invention, leap, progress, quantum leap, rise, step forward. -> Synopsis : Life is one BIG learning experience. "Breakthroughs" is a personal log of my journey through the final frontiers of outer space and my inner self. <-

Google
 
Web This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2005

Why is she a leftie ?

I use my right hand when I write. I even pick my nose with my right index finger.

So does my wife .... I mean writing. Not sure about picking the nose ...

But my 4 year old instinctively uses her LEFT hand to write or draw.

None of my family member is a leftie.

None of my wife’s family members is a leftie.

Is there a scientific explanation to this ?

Or did we pick up the WRONG baby from the hospital ?!

But she’ soooooooo cute ….

9 Comments:

Blogger pinkylicious said...

Dont worry....you should be happy instead cause a leftie is usually very smart :).

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find lefties often unusually creative & artistic. If your daughter is like that, I hope you'll nurture that intrinsic part of her :)

10:27 PM  
Blogger jeanchristie said...

yeah lefties are usually real smart ;P

11:43 PM  
Blogger thquah said...

My brother is the only lefties in my family and he is doing very well in his own way. So I think left or right it's all the same. As long as we parents, guide them properly to the best of our abilities.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

The first thing I remember about learning to write was with my left-hand. Naturally my parents tried to correct me, but they didn't succeed. xP

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was born a leftie too. and there wasnt any record of any member of the family tree who was a leftie. but i do look like my dad alot, so it wasnt a case of picking up the wrong kid either. ;o)
then again, my parents made me go thru several years of right hand use training. i was caned and made to sit and write with my right hand for hours. it was pure torture. then they realised i cheated on the 'homework' and allowed me to be a leftie.
though i suspect i'm a handicapped leftie now. i use my right hands to do certain things instead of my left unlike most lefties.
dont ever do that you your daughter.
and the bit about shorter lifespan for lefties?
bollocks! is all i have to say.

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a left-handed too! Theyt said that leftie people are creative and artistic. I absolutely agree with what Irene had commented. You'd be surprised to see your child might be doodling and drawing a lot of stuffs.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Orion said...

Thank you all for your kind words.

Yes, I did notice that she likes to sing and dance at the kindergarten. She enjoy it more than anything else (except for ice cream perhaps).

Been checking up web sites on this factor - it seems that being lefty or rightie has not much to do with hereditary, seems that 1 in 10 of us is a leftie.

So far, my wife and I have not forced her to use her right hand. We just let her do what she feels comfortable.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Mumsgather said...

Mr MG is a leftie but so far the kids appear to use both hands so its not clear yet. Being a leftie is no big deal accept that it makes things a little more right-handed world.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home