Breakthroughs

breakthrough (noun) -> Definition: progress -> Synonyms : advance, development, discovery, find, finding, gain, improvement, invention, leap, progress, quantum leap, rise, step forward. -> Synopsis : Life is one BIG learning experience. "Breakthroughs" is a personal log of my journey through the final frontiers of outer space and my inner self. <-

Google
 
Web This Blog

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Pen for Hire

or rather "keyboard for hire" may be more appropriate.

Why? Oil prices are going up and so are the prices of everything else. Last month, the CPI overtook the fixed deposit rate. Scary! And making ends meet will get more and more difficult. Just when you think that you have enough to get going for the month, some thing unexpected comes along and you end up being short of “vitamin M”.

Having thought thru it for the past 3 weeks, I have decided to become a part time writer. Primarily because writing is something I do enjoy; in fact I feel that I can express myself better in writing than in speech.

FYI I've tried applying for some part time jobs and did went to some interviews but they are not my cup o'tea. There is one job that requires me to calculate things. How ? They give you a stack of photocopied receipts and you are to add up the numbers. Each A4 sheet has 8 receipts and you are given 50 sheets per week. The pay ? RM60 per stack. Sounds OK ... until they tell you can you can only do 1 stack per week and if you make any mistakes, they will reject the batch. I didn't even bother to ask whether I will get if it is rejected. I was out of there.

Another one is entering email addresses - they will pay you RM0.02 per email. Do 2500 of it, you get RM50. Let's see, if I can do 1 email every 5 seconds, that 12 per minute, 720 per hour. To hit 2500, that will be 3.5 hours. That translates to RM14.30 per hour. Hmmm ... quite a lot of work for little $$$.

It was then I decided that I'd like a job that makes use of my intellect rather than just my hands. Writing is definitely it.

So what’s my specialty, you ask? They are analysis/research papers, white papers, magazine articles, business proposals and presentations. What subject or topic ? The information & communications technology (ICT) industry, that includes the electronic commerce and mobile industry as well. I’ve also got close to 15 years on work and entrepreneurial experience in this area.

I completed my master in business administration in 1999 and it does help when it comes to combining technology and business writings, especially when on “how technology will affect the markets and business strategies”. I have also been invited to speak at several conferences in the above areas.

Another area of specialty is executive development – I have written some articles for online magazines on the area of work life and MBA. I used to organize a web site on MBA and I was advising people on how to choose which MBA program. I even compiled a whole list of MBA courses available in Malaysia.

Not to forget …. I do write about my favorite topic and hobby too – Astronomy.

And I’d be more than happy to work with a team of writers on specific projects.

I am still very new when it comes to writing as a profession, your feedback, guidance and advice are most welcome.

And if anyone of you out there needs a paper or an article done, please feel free to email your request to alpha.orinis@gmail.com

5 Comments:

Blogger Lai Fong said...

If you enjoy writing, you might like to consider adding google adsense on your blog. Apparently there are quite a few in the Malaysian blogosphere whose income from adsense is a lot more than those rates you just quoted. I think you have the writing skills to do as well if not better than most of them.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Orion said...

tinkerbell : Why thank you! Will definately try Google Adsense. In fact I signed up 2 weeks ago, it's just that I have not got around to do it. I will also need to do up the links to other blogs as well.

2:08 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

Hey,
Why don't you offer some of the 'slice of life' stuff you've been blogging here and offer them to The Star. If they don't publish it, then only do you blog it.
Your writing is heaps better than some of the stories I've seen published.
About 700 words perhaps, which they would crop down to 500 or so, I reckon.
Hope this helps, Good Luck.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Orion said...

percolator : thanx for the encouragement! Will give The Star a shot or two. Will let you know how I fare.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Mumsgather said...

Orion, for your links, you can use a link manager like blogrolling for example so that you don't have to change your template over and over again each time you want to add/edit links. I use bloglines becos its a feedreader as well so it helps me read my favourite blogs (like yours) in lesser time becos it tells me whenever you update your blog.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home