Breakthroughs

breakthrough (noun) -> Definition: progress -> Synonyms : advance, development, discovery, find, finding, gain, improvement, invention, leap, progress, quantum leap, rise, step forward. -> Synopsis : Life is one BIG learning experience. "Breakthroughs" is a personal log of my journey through the final frontiers of outer space and my inner self. <-

Google
 
Web This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Writing for a living.

It’s 12:43pm and I am in Penang. At Starbucks to be precise, the one right behind Evergreen Hotel. So what am I doing 365 kilometres from home? I am at my in-laws place, my other half’s home town. While the grandparents are cuddling their little O, Big O here has the chance to slip away and do some work here. Yes, work on a Sunday. But it’s not work really, not when you enjoy it.

Remember my blog on being a writer ? "Pen for hire". I’ve been on the ball for the past 6 weeks, written more than 15,000 words. I’ve never in my life written so much in such a short time. I’ve also made more than RM5,000 and that has been very encouraging, especially for a guy who’s had some serious pay cuts due to the employers’ financial difficulties, not to mention the rising oil prices.

What have I written ? Several articles for a telecommunications magazine, two white papers for MNCs and one advertorial to name a few. I have more coming my way and it is getting to be rather overwhelming. I had to stay up all night last Thursday to finish a white paper to be submitted by the client the next morning, it was the fastest RM1,000 I’ve ever made. It’s tough work, considering the fact that I have to go back to my real work the next morning, looking fresh and all. I was a zombie by noon.

I'm getting good feedback for my work too. I've even bought a few good books on the craft of writing e.g. "On Writing Well" by Willian Zinsser. Great book, a definate must read for aspiring writers.

At the rate that the assignments are coming in, I might as well quit my day job and do this full time! Heck, the income can be much higher than my full time job even! But I’m hesitant, because I do have my financial commitments and being a freelancer means that the income is not that stable. Guess I will have to carry on status quo until or if the freelance income becomes more stable.

Let's wait and see.

7 Comments:

Blogger thquah said...

Congrats man, If you enjoy the writings it will be fulfiling not to mention the money that comes with it.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Orion said...

thquah: Tq!

mistyeiz: I will be in Penang again this Friday to pick up Mrs. O and little O. They will be spending the week with my in-laws while I'm home alone down here.

8:27 PM  
Blogger jeanchristie said...

whoa thats way cool! hehe good luck on getting more 'projects'!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such great news! You must have superb contacts. So very encouraging to hear that it's possible to make a living as a freelance writer in Malaysia... okay lah, maybe not make a living, but cukup makan lor :)

12:18 AM  
Blogger Orion said...

mistyeiz : OK. Let me know when you will be coming to KL so that we can meet up.

irene : I am blessed with good and helpful friends. One of them is a journalist with good contacts.

5:22 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

As a matter of curiosity... would you rather (emphasis 'rather') be a hack or a flack?

;P

9:13 AM  
Blogger Orion said...

percolator : Whichever one is fine with me, as long as I am good at what I do and people are willing for pay me for it ! Just read my latest posting and you shall understand why ...

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home