Breakthroughs

breakthrough (noun) -> Definition: progress -> Synonyms : advance, development, discovery, find, finding, gain, improvement, invention, leap, progress, quantum leap, rise, step forward. -> Synopsis : Life is one BIG learning experience. "Breakthroughs" is a personal log of my journey through the final frontiers of outer space and my inner self. <-

Google
 
Web This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Interviewees from Hell

There used to be a time when people were just grateful when some one made them a job offer.

There used to be a time when finding a job was very challenging and one would put so much of effort in wanting to win a job.

Gone are those days.

Back in those days, 1990 to be precise, I persistently called up a local IT company (it is listed on the KLSE Main Board today) wanting to speak to the marketing manager about possible vacancy in that business unit. He was never around or perhaps has not the time to return my call. My persistence caught the attention of the systems engineering manager and I was call in for an interview and subsequently hired as systems engineer. I was there for 9 years. 9 years in an IT firm in the 1990s was like 900 years there, that’s because people were changing jobs like crazy. Ex-colleagues used to call me up and said, “Eh? You are still in XXXXX ah ? Just make sure that you don’t become part of the furniture.”. The facts is that the pay was reasonably good, I get promoted once in a while and there are lots of things to learn.

Fast forward to 2005 : One of my managers interviewed an experienced candidate (3 years) that day and I had a look at the resume and OK it. But on the first day of work, before signing his letter of appointment he told us that he expected his salary to be RM4,000 instead of RM3,500 as we agreed earlier. And I told him that making such changes requires the finance department approval etc. and I said that our best offer on the table was what we agreed at RM3,500 per month.

He walked out of the deal.

Unbelievable.

Ungrateful.

Utterly disgusted I was.

He’s lucky I don’t have a Walter PPK in my drawer.

Some how people have come to expect that having a job is a God given right. Having a degree seem to mean that one should “demand” to be offered a job, on their terms. THEIR terms!

Am I on the wrong planet ?

That’s not all.

There were so many other cases I have encountered personally. Most common one is not showing up for the agreed interview and didn’t even bother to call in and inform us.

There were some who turn up. But their language and communications skills are non-existent. Their tenses are wrong, their vocabulary limited – they have Malay words in between English ones, so much so I can’t quite figure out whether the conversation is now in English or Malay. And the list goes on … care to add some ?

Now I know how the judges of Malaysian Idol feel.

8 Comments:

Blogger jeanchristie said...

hua..all ur ads on strategic mgmt.. my first topic for advance mgmt accting.. "strategic mgmt accting" <-- missed the 1st lect tho..sighs. stupid units.
I dislike the idea of interviews..freaked out by them.. only had one interview b4, to be on the college student council board.. the 3 interviewers said to me "ok, tell us a little bout urself"

Jean: um.. okay..
*silence*
Jean: um...... so what do you want to know? ah, I mean.. what aspect would you like to know?

at that moment I thought "OMG U FAILED !"

but after weeks of not being able to contact me as i had no cellphone.. i GOT IN! HAHAHA =X sheer luck?

7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

haha... i've been for 2 interviews and thats seems to be the FIRST question they ask. hehe... i got my job both times!!! only a part time job but nonetheless... yiippiieee!!!

Orion, perhaps the guy thought he could negotiate his way up to that $4k he wanted. And since u said the best was only $3500 i guess he just... wanted more. isn't that what we ALL want? to be paid more?

8:00 PM  
Blogger Orion said...

jean : are you doing accounting in Monash ? Would that be at the Clayton campus ? I wonder if some of my then lecturers are still there ...

Shan : we went thru salary discussion with that guy and we asked him whether he agrees to RM3500 and he said OK. Then on first day of work, he tries to be funny. I was not amused.

8:36 PM  
Blogger jeanchristie said...

shan, were u from smsj?
orion, yup.. am doing accounting and finance at clayton.. hehe.. who are ur lecturers? John flaherty? Roger Gay? hehee ;D

7:29 AM  
Blogger Orion said...

jean : I heard that Clayton campus has changed a lot. Looks like the lecturers have also changes. Heck, it's BEEN 15 years but I do know that my computer science-database systems lecturer Dr. Srinivsan is still around, he heads the comp sci dept now. I have not been back since 1990. Got to make time and see if I can visit Monash again. Do send me some photos OK? All the best for your studies. FYI, I had to repeat my Biz Finance ... grrrr!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh no wonder. thats damn right irritating. bloody greedy bugger. u don't need someone like him Orion. Happy hiring come next time!


and Jean... nah.. not from there. was from St John's but currently in Taylor's. You're a former SMSJ student issit? probably my friends know you.

7:42 PM  
Blogger jeanchristie said...

ah no :P was wondering if u were that dArshan fella ^^ i was fr smsu ;D

orion..pics ah......errr....dont really take pics at uni.. =X

7:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhhh.... im not him. Im Shanker anyways. hehe... :)

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home